FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gen 5 bearings and rollers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:36 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
I think it got dropped before mcmaster got it. Had to take off the wipe to see it fully, and everything was packed well.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Ah gotcha. Well they've been good in the past for returns in my experience.

What length did you get? Will you have to cut it down to size?

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:05 pm 

I got the 740mm (?) one. Debating on cutting it, or just moving the power supply so I can extend in the future.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Alternatively, you could remove (or mod) the left side of your panel and hang it out there. Moving the power supply isn't TOO bad, but it's not a walk in the park. Wiring gets to be annoying.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am 

Wow, got into the office, checked my mail... and there is a replacement carriage on its way here. :o

3 cheers for McMaster!

As for letting it hang out that side, I really dont want the case exposed over there. For now, my laser runs in the game room. Not ideal, but my little girl is running around down there at times, and I keep all the touchy-go-boom-boom stuff out of the way.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Awesome!

By the way, do you have any designs for the Z axis mount yet? Also, are you using any CAD software? I'd be happy to start work digitizing some of the existing parts.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 pm 

I might fab something up in Autocad (draftsman by trade) but figured for now I would use good old CAD (Cardboard Aided Drafting) to mock up some bits and work out dimensions.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:59 pm 

A thought.. the mass of the bearing block and laser head will be greater. I am worried about the stop and start at the end of an engraving pass. should we be looking at a stronger motor for the X axis as well?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
It may end up being a wash. The bearing block will ride far smoother than the rollers, so you have less friction to deal with even though you have a slightly higher mass. You can compensate for the acceleration difference in software if it's an issue. Just lower the acceleration for the machine a bit until it plays nice.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:36 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen
Just remembered this...anyone make any headway in the past few months?

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]