FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:38 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Gen 5 bearings and rollers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
Ina quest to get a but letter stiffness out of the head, Im going to rebuild the whole thing shortly. Is there a spec for these, or am I just going to need to pour through robotics catalogs and mcmaster and see what can be found?

Last edited by Azzy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Gen 5 bearings and rollers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
Unscrew one of the wheels and measure ID and OD of the bearings. I don't have size info on them.

If I were to completely rebuild the laser, I'd go with THK slides in place of the wheel nonsense. I'm currently considering building myself a 3D printer, designing it all myself as none of the ones on the market meet all my requirements. I'd go with THK for that definitely.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am 

I'll check that out. You see these?

http://www.boxzy.com/

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:54 am 

This what you are talking about?

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/thkdlink.php?id=330

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
If I had to guess those bearings will be a standard size. Check McMaster and SDP/SI, they should have most of what you need. Just check ID, OD, and thickness and you'll be set- any other options will be irrelevant to this application (except maybe sealed vs unsealed due to smoke condensing inside, so I'd go sealed if you had the option).

That said, I'd love to replace the X and Y axes with THK slides (or Misumi equivalent, etc.) like TLH said. I saw someone do it to a 5th gen before but I can't remember where I saw it or who did it :( I think they used Misumi rails to do it though.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 am 

Just pulling dimensions adnd specs off the top of my head, these should work: http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302063810/

If im close, its a dust resistant slide and runs about $160 for what we would need. Not a horrible cost to upgrade just the X axis. Doing both might get expensive.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
Direct from Misumi they're pretty costly. Might check the Chinese suppliers/EBay/Amazon for similarly spec'd units.

THK is definitely the way to go for something like this. It is fully constrained in every axis except along the slide. None of this faffing about with wheels, wobbly stuff, off center cams and other such nonsense. It is what is used on the Pro LF line of lasers.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:51 pm 

Laser Type: 5th gen 45w w/Rotary
In theory a replacement of the gantry would be just unscrewing the old one, screwing in the new one, attaching the head, and making sure the belt is aligned and tensioned (give or take some effort and leveling, etc). Am I correct in this? I cannot express how much I love the idea of not having to deal with wheel adjustments. :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:55 pm 

If there was a kit out there for it all, yes. There would have to be a bit of machining involved for attaching everything. Im interested in prototyping out a kit for this, if anyone else was interested in picking one up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
I'd love to make a kit like this as well. I need me some super smooth edges :) I've been on the lookout for a cheap enough linear slide that I could mod; I can 3d print the rest of it. Cheapest I typically see on Ebay (for the full 24"-25" that we'd need) seems to run around $70, which is a little high for "just get one and maybe play with it one day".

It'd be cool if we could find a solid standard type that we could all agree on and could source. I know lots of us have 3D printers, so sharing/iterating on designs would be an easy process. Poking around Misumi it looks like they have some for around $115, down to $105 if 10 of us do a group buy. I'd much rather find some used ones.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]