FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Chuck Rotary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen Hobby
Are there any decent chuck rotary attachments that function with a 5th gen? I have the FSL rotary, but I'm not a fan of it. I've had a terrible time getting it to be consistent, largely because the item is either clamped too tight or too loose; the former causing the item to stop rotating although the laser is still etching, the latter allowing the item to shift forward/backwards as it etched. Not too big of a deal on some jobs, but I like doing banded designs that meet up seamlessly.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Chuck Rotary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
Big sigh!!

I agree with you, hope somebody has a good replacement idea.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
3rded. Could always get a cheap mini lathe.....

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:30 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
I've looked into the possibility of building up a cheap rotary from Harbor Freight/China as a rotary with a chuck. Unfortunately most are pretty crappy as far as quality goes and not advisable from all the information I've found. Would be cool to make one that I could use on both my CNC and the laser. I guess unless I design my own, there's nothing consistently decent quality out there until you get up into $$$$ machining tools.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:04 am 

Laser Type: FSL 5th Gen
I use a G1049 6" rotary table from grizzly.com on my cnc by mounting a stepper in place of the hand crank, but it's way too tall for the laser. It's a good quality tool, and properly adjusted there is no backlash that I can feel. Their 3" or 4" rotary tables might fit better.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:39 am 

Highscores: 3
the 3"-4" rotary tables form HF are KAKA (I have sitting on the bench still)..
I have a kit from LMS (Little Machine Shop) for a rotary/indexer and tail-stock... that is actuallyt pretty decent though.. (not exactly 'cheap'.. but more affordable than the rotary as is.... but of course needs more parts to 'work' with the laser)

Are there any other laser rotary design to look at? (besides the FSL one?) I would imaging with all the talent here.. a new design could be made..

Mini Mill
Powder Coating system
Blast Cabinet
Silhouette Vinyl cutter
PCB Creation/fabrication/assembly

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
I don't know what power the FSL driver supplies, but this looks like a decent option:

http://www.lightobject.com/High-precisi ... -P795.aspx

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 pm 

Highscores: 3
Scatterplot wrote:
I don't know what power the FSL driver supplies, but this looks like a decent option:

http://www.lightobject.com/High-precisi ... -P795.aspx

nice find.. and looks nice too!

only 'cons' I see are the 10" limit...

wonder if that can be overcome? looks like its a welded/one-piece base/fixture? wonder how much 'width' (space) the tail stock and chuck/stepper box take up?

thats going to be the problem with most chuck steps.. the additional space it'll take up (like on a mill table)

Mini Mill
Powder Coating system
Blast Cabinet
Silhouette Vinyl cutter
PCB Creation/fabrication/assembly

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
The reason FSL goes with the design they do (traction on rollers) is that they use a fixed setup for DPI. With a chuck rotary, you have no control over the DPI on the surface of your part as it can hold a variety of diameters. The rollers are a known fixed diameter, and any object will turn at 1000 steps per inch regardless of it's diameter. The chuck rotary would be far more precise, but you're opening up a different can of worms here.

I'd still like to see it tried though. It may require some major tweaking, likely stretching an image vertically to make adjustments for the diameter of the piece vs. the fixed DPI setting.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:47 am 

Laser Type: FSL 5th Gen
Using the Y stepper to drive the rotary table on my cnc without altering the steps per inch, I found that a '9 inch' linear move would give a complete rotation, so I always stretched the image with that in mind. Usually I made a jig to hold the work rather than using the chuck.

The light objects stepper is a nema 23, quite a bit bigger than the ones in the 5th gen. I wonder if the step/direction signals are accessible and could be used to control an external stepper drive so as not to smoke the 5th gen board?

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]