FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Linear bearing mod for x axis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:14 pm 

Laser Type: 5th gen Hobby
Ok, pictures!

First, the reason for doing this modification: The lines here are about 0.200" long. They are at roughly 45° from horizontal. Both were done at the same speed and power. The top is wavey, the bottom isn't :D

The two brackets:

Right side bracket and part of the carriage:

Yes, I still need to come up with a more elegant solution for the homing switch. :lol:

An album with more pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/fxmf3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 am 

Well, that's annoying :?

50ish hours of run time after install, I ran a couple jobs that had long engraves following the X-axis. I'm getting noticeable wiggles in the lines, depending on where it is along the x-axis. The same wiggles are repeatable, and get worse the faster the carriage moves, so it appears to be caused by slight wiggles in the rail.

When I first got the rail I noticed there were some tighter spots where the carriage would slow down just slightly. If the machined rail is out of true at all, it will be magnified and show up on the work surface. Of course this fine for most applications, just not this one :lol:

I'm wondering if something like this would be a better solution, since it has no moving parts. I sent PBC a question through their site, so I'll see if they get back to me or not.

Grainger has the mini-rail for ~$150 for both carriage and rail (though I'm not sure if they're a matched pair like they should be).

http://www.pbclinear.com/UGA-Low-Profil ... near-Slide
http://www.pbclinear.com/Mini-Rail-Mini ... near-Guide <---- this one says the carriage and rail are matched at order time, so carriages ordered later may not fit well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
I would check if those are rated for side loading like the other rail is. Do you have your preload set correctly, and double checked the carriage? ive run a lot of engraving on this machine since the mod, and no wiggles or binding. Just the occasional wipe down with a very light oil (Weapon shield CLP is my choice) to clean it up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm 

I set the preload loosening the top adjuster a few degrees, then tightening the lower one to raise it up. Kept doing that until there was zero play in the carriage. The load arrows are pointing down, and I'm adjusting the center wheel to push upwards, so the outer two wheels are riding the bottom rail.

For this test I put 6 lines 0.050" apart, and ran them on the Raster tab at 100% speed. At lower speeds the wiggles are less pronounced. I still see the wiggles if I engrave the same pattern on wood or paper. This is acrylic stuff "Duet by Gemini".

The bottom set of lines was what came through a single sheet of paper, so that's why it's washed out. The top set had three passes per line. The third group had one engraving pass per line.

I also got my order from FSL today, so I replaced the X belt and the idler (even though the new still has a tiny bit of play in it :roll: )

Attachments:
2017-03-01 002.jpg
2017-03-01 002.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 295 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Any chance your Y is a bit loose? That may give you some slight wiggling.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

Before this latest test I did check the Y axis. On the right side, I found two wheels that didn't roll smoothly (either the bearing wasn't pressed in all the way, or the stud was too short. When the screw was tightened the bearings would bind a little, making the movement not smooth). I replaced them with extras from the x-gantry, and now they spin nicely.

The left side was loose, no bad wheels, so I adjusted it to zero play.

Tightened both belts, then adjusted them to travel together.

Doesn't mean they aren't loose again though :lol:

The pictured wobbles are in the middle of an 11" long line, hopefully reducing any wobble to the X axis, and not the Y axis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:52 am 

Scatterplot wrote:
Any chance your Y is a bit loose? That may give you some slight wiggling.

hoozie wrote:
Doesn't mean they aren't loose again though :lol:

Yep, they were loose, again. I could spin one wheel on each side freely. Snug them up a bit, and it's fighting the edge of stalling the stepper and reducing wobble.

With them tighter, the engraved line definitely had less wobble to it.

"I knew it was a hobby machine. I didn't know the machine would be the hobby"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 am 

Well, I just realized that my x-rail has some twist in it. Only ~1/16" over the length, but, by the time it gets to the work area, it's bigger than that. I found it after investigating why I was cutting a rhombus rather than a square, and that to make it actually do a square, I had to move one y axis block to be 1/8" farther from the case than the other.

Funny story: A client and I worked with a local rep for some motors and gearboxes. I sent PBC linear a request for information about some other linear rails. Who else calls me about that request? The rep I've worked with in the past. Even funnier is that we haven't talked in a year, and the morning before he called, my client said we need to talk to him again about a different project. :lol:

Anyways, I'll send him an email asking about my twisted rail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 am 

Mcmaster was kind enough to send me a replacement rail. That still has the tiniest amount of twist in it. :?

I have it installed and squared up by having one of the y-blocks just under 1/16" different than the other one. But, it's cutting squares that are actually square, so I'm going to leave it for now.

Although, I'm wondering if I extend the aluminum angle bracket all the way across, if that will help straighten up the rail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
It might help, but you will be loading the Y axis more. Check your brackets agst a machinist square. Mine are within .002 of square. I used really thin plastic, you could use aluminum foil, to act as shims on one side or the other.

As for the hme switch.. mines been oogly like that ever since. If it works, just leave it :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]