FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 3D to Laser
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
So, I have a couple of ideas about creating a 3d model and then converting said model to the laser. I am aware there are several programs out there that are supposed to do this. I want to hear from any of you that have done this.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: 3D to Laser
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
What style of conversion do you mean? The one I've heard of for making solid models used to be 123D Make (here: http://www.123dapp.com/make, still available for PC but not Mac- they're transitioning the functionality to Fusion360 here: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion ... usion-360/). Both of those programs are free.

Is that the style you meant or are you looking for panel-based designs? There is also the BoxIt suite (here: http://www.laserjumpstart.com/boxit-suite.html) but it's pretty expensive.

What kind of model are you wanting to make?

(Unfortunately I haven't actually USED the two functionalities mentioned above, but I've read up on them some and would love to hear from others that have used them)

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Nothing really specific, I have some 3d models in my mind that I think I want to try and produce, but want to produce them on the laser. These are not solid, but some items that would do well in 2d and assembled. The reason I I has asked about the 3d is because sometimes it would be nice to see what the actual finished product would look like assembled. I have some display stands that I have been working on and after several hours of design, cutting and assembling have had to go back and redesign just because they didn't look like what was in my mind....

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 pm 

Laser Type: 5th gen Hobby
I've goofed around in sketchup, and I think I can make it work to design an interlocking 3D object. The basic workflow was going to be design it, then put each face on a different layer, and export each layer to a 2D .dxf. Then send that to the laser.

I'll have to try the others to see if the exporting is easier.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

hoozie wrote:
I've goofed around in sketchup, and I think I can make it work to design an interlocking 3D object. The basic workflow was going to be design it, then put each face on a different layer, and export each layer to a 2D .dxf. Then send that to the laser.

I'll have to try the others to see if the exporting is easier.

Thanks.. I just thought it would be a fun and hopefully fruitful endeavor to see what others may have already come up with.. Just adds another level to what we can do with our lasers. I know that there are as Scaterplot and what I have read online have done, but wanted to start a thread here and if others we're doing it then it would be inclusive to our machines..

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen Hobbly Laser
I use AutoCAD. basically all my models, 2D laser cut and assemble.

Using the 2" lens I allow for .007" cut kerf for tight fit. For joints you need to allow for kerf and material thickness.

I design all my models at full size 1=1 and adjusted for material thickness for the final scale of the model.
I utilize a feature of AutoCAD that lets me draw in modelspace at 1=1 and print from paperspace @ model scale to RetinaEngrave.

I understand that 123D is being phase out by AutoDesk soon the site will be shutdown. Fusion 360 can be acquire free (you will need to re-activate the license yearly), if used for a business there is a income/profit level threshold for determining if you can use it free.

here are links to the project I have post here on the forums

n-scale-1-160-140-throught-plate-girder-bridge-t511.html

n-scale-1-160-loading-ramp-t522.html

n-scale-1-160-fm-coaling-tower-t735.html

first-post-latest-project-t382.html

Currently working on a train turntable cut out 1/8" cast acrylic (waiting on by order to arrive) to be assemble into the final model approx 9-11" in diameter.

Still got to design the rotating bridge and indexing mechanism.

I need a larger cutting area not necessary more wattage for some other ideals. Came out of retirement this week and back to work, so hopefully soon I can upgrade, consider a path similar to Scatterplot.

KD Models - 3D printing
5th Gen 45W FSL Laser, AutoCAD, Corel Draw X8

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
I use Autocad. For visual fun, I'll extrude parts to 3D, assemble, then kick the model out to Keyshot for a render.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm 

Laser Type: 5th 45w(1.5"l)
Probably not the most efficient way but I use the following:

-I do the main design in sketchup, dividing the object in flat pieces of the thickess of the material I cut.
-I put all the pieces i the same plane in sketchup, put the camera in top view and export a 2d view to .dwg (you need the pro version, the free one of sketchup do not have it)
-In Autocad I correct the amount of the edges that the laser vores (only in the parts that need to connect tight) and put the tines in the different layers to cut or engrave.
-Print the final model in a .xls file I can send to the machine.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
May have done a few things with 123D Make....

So take 3D model, tweak and make in Autocad or 3D Studio, import to 123D make, and slicing happens. Then take the resulting nested cut files, and modify as needed in Corel.

Attachment:
DSC_6080.JPG
DSC_6080.JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 574 times ]

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]