FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Cutting troubles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 pm 

Laser Type: Gen 5 hobby
Hi I have just bought a hobby series 5th gen
I have tried to cut acrylic (possibly too thick 5mm?) and the problem is: 1. it doesn't cut through no matter how many passes or how slow the feed rate and 2. it marks the material with several lines, not just the cutting line
Is there an adjustment issue that I should be looking for?
Just really would like to be pointed in the right direction so that I am not wasting my time adjusting things for no reason
Thanks

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Cutting troubles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajHlcezujU

You need to align all your mirrors and lenses. Also, good idea to make sure everything is clean and that the wheels are all adjusted properly and your belt tension is right.

1. Clean all lenses. Use lens cleaning non-abrasive cloth.
2. Check belt tension. It should be just tight enough that it makes a slight sound when plucked. Loosen slightly to the point it goes flat, then tighten up a smidge.
3. Check all rolling components to make sure the rails and wheels are free of debris.
4. Check that the laser lead carriage and the X axis gantry don't rock. If they do, adjust the wheels so they don't.
5. Now do an alignment of the mirrors per the above video.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
MOVED TO GENERAL LASER POST QUESTIONS.

You mention that it marks the material several times.. It sounds as though you do not have a single vector line on the cut. What graphics software are you using.

Also, your laser head could be out of focus. Even though a focusing billet comes with the machines, it could be mis-cut. Try doing the ramp test. This is where you create a long vector line in your drawing and place material into the laser. Have the material set at an angle so that as the laser head travels across it, you will see where the line is the thinnest and cuts the deepest, That will be your best focal point.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Admin wrote:
You mention that it marks the material several times.. It sounds as though you do not have a single vector line on the cut. What graphics software are you using.

It could be this or it could be the beam clipping an optic, with a reflection making multiple lines.

We will know more after he does the alignment.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:07 am 

Attachment:
Two line cut.jpg
Two line cut.jpg [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 76 times ]
Hi and thank you very much for the advice.
I have checked all of the above (TLHarrell) and aligned the laser mirrors. From mirror 1 to 2 and 3 they fire in the same location (in both positions) but there appears to be 2 red dots not one? Also the last fire from all four extremities onto to focal lens will not line up?
Is there any way I can attach a photo here?

Attachments:
Double dots.jpg
Double dots.jpg [ 688.93 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
I think Scatterplot called it.. Looks like your splitting your beam. Do the alignment.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
You're getting a reflection somewhere that's causing your beam to split. If your head was marking the same spot twice by moving over it twice (as opposed to two lines from one move) then it would be like Admin said, it's a software problem.

The pics you've posted are definitely an alignment issue. If the tests in the corners don't line up, something's not aligned. I bet your alignment is off enough that the beam is clipping the edge of the focus nozzle or something, causing a bounce which gives you your double cut.

If you're seeing two red lasers, that can help you troubleshoot; there won't be two lasers coming from the red dot, so put something in the path to see which optic causes the laser to split. At some point there will be a single beam before an optic and a dual beam after. That doesn't mean that that particular optic is your issue though, it means one or more previous optics aren't aligned.

Please remember this is an unofficial forum and is unaffiliated with Full Spectrum. All moderators and admins are volunteers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 pm 

Placed a piece of thermal paper in front of the first mirror and it appears to be 2 dots here.

Attachments:
Two dots at first mirror.jpg
Two dots at first mirror.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 46 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
Check the beam combiner optic for debris.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 am 

I have cleaned this and can not see any debris. Can you see the white plastic screw holding it in place? I tried to undo this but the allen key just slipped within it. I don't see the same setup in the user manual and not sure if I should force this

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]