FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:50 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Power supply replacement
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am 

Laser Type: 4th gen laser
I ended up ordering this cheap power supply from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261845993572

We'll see how it goes. It's a US seller with a return policy.

The 5v and 24v sections of the current power supply still work, and the stepper motors still drive the carriage around, so hopefully I can drop this in to power the tube and be back up and running.

(and fix that water leak)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Using dual power supplies will work just fine, just remember to connect the grounds together and you'll be good to go!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:45 pm 

Laser Type: 5th gen Hobby
This appears to be a near drop-in replacement for the stock power supply. It looks like it needs a plug for the connection to the tube, and there was mention of something goofy with the fan. But it seems to have the same plugs and pinout as stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-Power-Suppl ... 1941808373

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm 

Laser Type: 4th gen laser
That's cool, thanks.

I did finally get this machine up and working. Ended up replacing the control electronics as well, ended up going with arduino + GRBL so that I could use the open source Laserweb: https://github.com/LaserWeb/LaserWeb3/wiki

In my opinion, it's wayyyy better than Fullspectrum's software, and it's improving all the time.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 am 

Laser Type: FSLaser 5th Gen
@michaeluna Would you mind doing a post with the details of your upgrade? I've been playing with GRBL through a Raspberry Pi connected to my Shapeoko 3XL CNC. After seeing what GRBL is capable of, and with the latest laser improvements to it, I've been researching what it would take to ditch FSL's dog bone controller and get some Open Source goodness inside.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

Highscores: 3
michaeluna wrote:
That's cool, thanks.

I did finally get this machine up and working. Ended up replacing the control electronics as well, ended up going with arduino + GRBL so that I could use the open source Laserweb: https://github.com/LaserWeb/LaserWeb3/wiki

In my opinion, it's wayyyy better than Fullspectrum's software, and it's improving all the time.

Can you expand more about that software??

I do a lot of Arduino stuff.. but never messed with GRBL or stepper/CNC stuff really.

Does this accept 'printing' for any software/app like RE? (one of the best features of RE IMHO)..

Any 'cons' to know about?

Do you have any before and after engravings to show? (any differences better? worse?)

Mini Mill
Powder Coating system
Blast Cabinet
Silhouette Vinyl cutter
PCB Creation/fabrication/assembly

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 pm 

AZArtisan wrote:
@michaeluna Would you mind doing a post with the details of your upgrade? I've been playing with GRBL through a Raspberry Pi connected to my Shapeoko 3XL CNC. After seeing what GRBL is capable of, and with the latest laser improvements to it, I've been researching what it would take to ditch FSL's dog bone controller and get some Open Source goodness inside.

Hey AZArtisan-

At that point if new linear rails and a new controller... would you need to 'upgrade' the FSL anymore? you'd have most of the main parts for a NEW machine.....no?

(outside of housing, linear rails the size you want, and new Arduino/GRBL controller... what is left outside of tube/psu?)

* mirror/mounts
* lens holder/z-axis of some kind

Mini Mill
Powder Coating system
Blast Cabinet
Silhouette Vinyl cutter

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:34 pm 

Laser Type: FSLaser 5th Gen
@xl97 I know... these seem(ed) like fairly inexpensive upgrades compared to a ground up build. I've done some nice things with the laser, amidst much frustration that *mostly* was not my fault. I think for me, upgrading an existing platform would be easier. I have such limited time to build and a limited work area at the moment.

After getting a CNC from Carbide3D and seeing their customer service and quality product, that's completely conceived, sourced, and built in the USA, I taste a little vomit in my throat every time I see the FSL name. When and if I pursue and upgrade for my 5th Gen, I'm going to slap a big "Open Source Inside" sticker on it knowing the chains are broken!

As for a Arduino/GRBL controller. The direct print is the only thing I think would be missed. GRBL reads industry standard G-Code that CNC's have used for years. CAD/CAM software like Fusion360/Solid Works/Rhino, along with many others will convert Vector formats like SVG and DWG into G-Code. Rastering is somewhat new to GRBL but I've seen some Raster products that look every bit as good as FSL's. Any aspect of settings can be fine tuned, from steps per inch, which FSL made nearly impossible to adjust in the B models, to ramping laser power during cuts and rasters. It looks really promising but I'm anxious to see what @michaeluna has to say.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm 

I'm excited about it.. but think it may be too early to jump on the bandwagon just quite yet...(at least for myself) LOL

Quote:
I have such limited time to build and a limited work area at the moment.

I hear that! Time has been a rare commodity the last year or two for myself!!

I have been also looking for a Carbide/Shapeoko type of CNC 'router'..... to cut my teeth on. But havent been able to give it the R&D it requires to learn the basics of not only working a machine.. but the best machine for me either. (space, tool chain..etc)

I also would need one that done metal (aluminum at least)... not sure if just means spindle? spindle speed? or in fact rails..etc..etc need to be specific (more rigid than stock) for metals..etc..

Mini Mill
Powder Coating system
Blast Cabinet
Silhouette Vinyl cutter

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]