FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Power supply replacement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:49 pm 

Laser Type: 4th gen laser
Hi all. Looks like a water coolant leak killed my tube's power supply :/

I did some searching on here and see Lightobject listed as an alternate source of parts. I have a 4th gen 40w tube, so looks like this is the correct one?

http://www.lightobject.com/20W45W-PWM-C ... V-P71.aspx

Does anyone have any other sources? I did a quick search on ebay and found some cheaper ones that look like they might work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-40W-Water-C ... SwPhdVUHhh

I use this laser mainly for artwork, one-offs and tinkering, so I'm not running it as a production machine.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Power supply replacement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
Welcome to the forum.

I'm confused.. Usually a water failure would kill the tube not the power supply.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:20 pm 

True- that's what happened to my last laser tube. When installing this new one, I was a ******* and broke off one of little fragile glass ports for the small silicone tube connecting two of the water chambers together. I had thought I did a good job of fabricating a new seal and caulking the tube into place, but after a week of use, a drip developed and I didn't notice until it had found its way down into the power supply :(

This laser is becoming like one of those hot rods that guys work on every weekend for years. And then I see those $400 moshidraw machines staring at me every time I order a replacement part...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 5th Gen
Wow. No fun losing the PS to a water leak...

I personally can't answer your question re. the correct unit, but I am sure some of our other members can. Light Object is a good trusted supplier.

Full Spectrum 5th Generation with 45 watt tube and rotary attachment.

Full wood shop and welding equipment.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Unfortunately I don't think that supply will work. Your machine needs both a high voltage laser supply and a low voltage DC supply that drives the steppers (I think it's 12V, but it might be 24. I'd have to check).

If you go with a PS like the one you linked, you'll need a separate power supply for your steppers. There's nothing inherently wrong with that setup (and is what I use in fact) but just be aware of that. There are some laser PSU's that include both high and low voltages, and that's what you'll need.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:27 pm 

Hey thanks, that is good to know- I'll dig deeper into this. I have various power supplies hanging around, might be able to repurpose one of those.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

I remember being able to find the specs for the standard PSU by doing some Google-fu with some of the text written on there. If I remember right it was called a power supply for a stamp-making laser. If you can match the specs found on that PSU you might be able to use something you have sitting around.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

I found a few of my notes on the power supply. It turns out it's actually a 3-part supply, with 5V, 24V, and HV laser. See me notes here:

viewtopic.php?p=3379#p3379

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:38 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
A note for others, when shoving the tubing onto a new laser tube, wet the barb with saliva. It's slippery enough that the tubing will slide on with a minimum of effort (give it a bit of a twisting motion as you guide it on) yet will dry out and not slide off later.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:45 pm 

Scatterplot, thanks, that's really helpful.

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]