FULL SPECTRUM FORUM

An unofficial forum for Full Spectrum Laser users
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fslusers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Source for air pump?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:55 pm 

Laser Type: 4th gen laser
Hi all, wondering if any of you can point me to a good low-noise air pump? I got this laser secondhand and they kept the air pump for their new one. I picked up a cheap one but it overheated pretty quickly and I returned it- I then got another one that ran fine but was way too loud.

Seems this application needs an air pump more specifically suited to running for a good couple of hours and isn't crazy loud.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Source for air pump?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
If you're in the market for one anyway, I got a California Air Tools compressor for around $200 that's pretty quiet, and you can use it with air tools and all. You have to regulate it such that it doesn't run above a 50% duty cycle, but it's a pretty solid machine. It's not as cheap as the continuously running ones though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 pm 

Laser Type: 5th Gen, 45w
I have a small piston type air compressor normally used for stuff like an airbrush. It's happy to sit under the table way in the back and doesn't make any noise unless it moves over against the water bucket and starts it rattling. I solved that by zip tying it to some bricks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:37 am 

Laser Type: 4th gen laser
Thanks, the keyword I needed here was "airbrush." All I was finding was bigger shop/auto air compressors.

Now I'm wondering if I want to get into airbrushing. Might be cool to laser cut some stencils...

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Laser Type: 4th and 5th
Overhead transparency film cuts really well. I've made some stencils with that before, and it's fairly cheap. The sheets are only 8x10 or so though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 am 

Laser Type: 5th Gen 45W hobby
I got this one: http://amzn.to/1X2IOWA

and then added this http://amzn.to/1qmeqvN

It works alright. The plastic covers on top of the unit loosen and rattle, but if you can keep you hands off the machine, they can probably go. I find with the very rudimentary setup that FSL made, to get any effect out of the stock airpath you need to go with about 20-30 psi, which then gets you into cycle time issues. To match your stock pond air pump (this one http://amzn.to/1qmeED9) you can set the psi to about 2 or 3, and it will still work better as the pulsing on and off is gone.

(affiliate links)

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]